ONLINE COURSE WSET Level 3 in Wines
Take your wine knowledge to the next level with this internationally recognised advanced level wine qualifiaction. Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) courses provide globally recognised qualifications suitable for wine industry professionals and wine enthusiasts. As a WSET Approved Programme Provider (APP) Kent Wine School has been certified to offer the WSET Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 qualifications. The WSET Level 3 in Wines Award is an advanced level qualification for professionals working in the wine industry and for wine enthusiasts.
For individuals seeking to delve deeper into the world of wines, this qualification provides a detailed understanding of grape growing and wine making. Upon completion you will be able to assess wines accurately, and use your understanding to confidently explain wine style and quality.
Upon successful completion you will receive a WSET Level 3 in Wines certificate and lapel pin, and will be able to use the associated WSET certified logo.
What you'll learn
The key factors in the production of wine: location, grape growing, winemaking, maturation and bottling
How these key factors influence the key characteristics of the principal still wines of the world, sparkling wines of the world and fortified wines of the world
How to apply your understanding to explain wine style and quality
How to taste wines, describe their characteristics and evaluate their quality, using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)If you are an employer wishing to train your staff this course will equip them with knowledge and understanding of a wide range of products.
Unit 1 is assessed by a closed-book exam of 50 multiple-choice questions and a paper of short written answers. Unit 2 is assessed by a blind tasting of two wines.
This qualification is regulated by Ofqual
It is recommended that you hold the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines or can demonstrate the equivalent level of knowledge. This course is suitable for keen wine enthusiasts and people working in the drinks industry and hospitality such as sommeliers and hotel, restaurant and pub staff , wine retail staff and managers, wine buyers and distributors and stagg at wine wholesalers. It is recommended that you have already sat and passed the WSET Level 2 in Wines exam although this is not essential if your wine knowledge is at a high level.
The course is delivered online and in English therefore basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a good level of English are required.
A course study pack will be posted to you upon booking for this course (your preferred postal address will be confirmed before materials are posted out). It is highly recommended that the course textbook is read prior to the start of the course if possible.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- Thurs 28th May 2020 at 5pm: Registration Deadline to allow time to order the case
- Thurs 4th June 2020 at 9.30am – 3pm with one hour lunch break 12 noon to 1pm: 1st LIVE virtual classroom session
- Thurs 11th June 2020 at 9.30am – 3pm with one hour lunch break 12 noon to 1pm: 2nd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Thurs 18th June 2020 at 9.30am – 3pm with one hour lunch break 12 noon to 1pm: 3rd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Thurs 25th June 2020 at 9.30am – 3pm with one hour lunch break 12 noon to 1pm: 4th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Thurs 2nd July 2020 at 9.30am – 3pm with one hour lunch break 12 noon to 1pm: 5th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Thurs 9th July 2020 at 9.30am – 3pm with one hour lunch break 12 noon to 1pm: 6th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Thurs 16th July 2020 at 10am - 1pm: Tasting practice session with mock tasting paper in Tunbridge Wells or Brighton
- Thurs 23rd July 2020 at 10am – 12 noon: Revision clinic + 1pm-4pm Exam Eam day in Tunbridge Wells or Brighton
Exam: To obtain the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass an exam IN PERSON. The exam takes the form of a 30 min tasting paper and a 2 hour Theory Paper that is made up of 50 multiple-choice questions and 4 Short Written Answer questions. You must answer at least 55% correctly in BOTH papers in order to pass the exam and gain your Level 3 in Wines qualification.
NOTE: All live virtual sessions will be recorded, so if you are unable to attend one of the sessions above as planned, you can revisit the lesson in your own time.
- The course will have 6 LIVE virtual taught lessons with Jonny Gibson, co-owner and lead tutor at Kent Wine School. These lesson times are detailed above in the course schedule.
- Enrolled students will also receive practice short written answer questions and multiple-choice questions following each weelks live tutorials. You will get feedback on your answers and also on your tasting notes so that you can improve your technique each week. You will also have access to a series of useful videos.
- Students will need to sit the online exam on a future date with WSET using remote invigilation. We will help you arrange this.
The Course Fee of £495 Includes:
- Course study pack (posted to students)
- Access to LIVE virtual taught lessons taught by a Kent Wine School WSET Certified Tutor
- Exclusive access to practice short written answer and mu;tiple choice questions
- Weekly tutor feedback on your tasting notes and practice revision work
- Professional WSET tuition
- Practice tasting clinic in person with a mock tasting paper
- Exam & all related examination fees
- Internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate and pin for those who pass the online exam
It is recommended that at least 24 essential wine styles are tasted as part of this course. Please note that the cost of wines is not included in the listed course fee.
Kent Wine School has hand-selected a specially discounted tasting case of 24 wines that can be purchased as an Add-On to the course fee from Butlers Wine Cellar in Brighton for £295. If you would like to purchase this case (as opposed to sourcing the wines on your own), a link to purchase this tasting case will be sent to you upon registering for this course. National UK wide delivery is £9.99. Currently, we are unable to arrange delivery to addresses outside of Mainland UK.
Special Educational Needs: please make the School aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
VAT Receipt available on request - simply email us after your purchase.
Places remaining: 7
Course Date/Time: Thu 4th Jun 2020 at 9.30am - 3pm
Duration: 8 consecutive weeks